'I had nobody to dedicate a third goal to,' jokes Toni

The Italian rolled back the years with a double against the Rossoneri on the opening weekend of the new season and claimed, with tongue in cheek, that it could have been a treble

Verona striker Luca Toni has joked that he would have netted a hat-trick against AC Milan on Saturday had he had someone else to whom he could have dedicated a goal.

The 36-year-old bagged a double in the surprise 2-1 victory over the Rossoneri but the veteran forward says he would have added a third if he had so desired.

"The two goals were for my wife Martha and my daughter Bianca," Toni told Sky Sport Italia. "I did not score a third because I did not have anybody to dedicate it to.

"I enjoy playing against Milan. Even with Fiorentina I scored a lot against them, and these habits are important because they secured a great victory.

"There was some tension before the game because we knew we would be facing a great team."

The former Bayern Munich hitman turned 36 in May but, despite being in the twilight of his career, Toni says that he remains as passionate about the game as ever.

"Fortunately, I have have earned a lot much money in my life, and I am only still playing because I love football," he explained.

"I like training, I like to work hard and I like to sacrifice myself [for the team]. As long as I feel this way, I will keep playing."

Toni, who helped Italy win the World Cup in 2006, has now scored 111 goals in 250 appearances in Serie A.

No comments:

Post a Comment