Giroud welcomes potential Suarez competition at Arsenal

The striker feels that the possible acquisition of his positional rival would show critics that the Gunners are serious about winning silverware and aims to improve his own form
Arsenal striker Olivier Giroud has backed the club's move for Liverpool's wantaway forward Luis Suarez, despite the threat that the Uruguayan would pose to his first-team spot.

As revealed by Goal on Wednesday, Suarez is ready to submit a formal transfer request to force an Anfield departure after the Gunners lodged a £42 million bid for his services.

Giroud is not worried about the increased competition that Suarez's arrival would generate, however, as he believes that the acquisition of the 26-year-old would finally prove that the club means business in the transfer market.

"I think we need maybe two or three more players. Yes, that's what we need - to show ambition," the Frenchman told reporters. "The club has to show the fans that we want it. Me and my team-mates, we need it as well. It's all about the team. It will be a really positive thing if we have a new striker."I am not worried but I will wait until September so we know the team, the players. I never used to read the newspapers and I don't want to change my way of life but I have heard a lot of things and I know we need a striker.

"The most important thing is the team. We are waiting for one but we don't know. I think it will be good for the team and for me as well to have another striker, to have more competition between us.

"But I think I could play with [Suarez] or without him. So I will be able to be in the first XI this season. I really want to be in the first XI this season but we will see."

Giroud will also be hoping to seal a spot in France's World Cup 2014 squad on top of becoming an Arsenal regular this term, with the striker eyeing a more consistent season in terms of form and appearances.

"I really want to have a good pre-season in preparation for a big season," he added. "I think it's important to look forward to the World Cup because I want to play in the tournament with France.

"I know I have to be really efficient with my club, Arsenal, and I want to be the first striker of this team so I need to score early.

"Because I'm settled I will be much better this season. I feel good. I have had a period of adaptation in the Premier League. A lot of strikers needed time to settle in the team and in the Premier League.

"I need to have a good integration when I arrived and that's what happened at Arsenal. I feel good and I really want to play the maximum number of games to help the team to win as many games as possible."

No comments:

Post a Comment