Sneijder rules out summer Chelsea switch

The Galatasaray midfielder won the treble under Jose Mourinho at Inter, but dismissed a reunion with the Portuguese boss this window – though could be open to a move in January

Galatasaray midfielder Wesley Sneijder has played down reports linking him with a move to Chelsea, and says he is happy to remain with the Turkish giants.

The 29-year-old moved to the Istanbul-based outfit in January 2013, scoring three goals as Galatasaray claimed the Super Lig title.

Recent reports have linked the Netherlands international with a move to Stamford Bridge to link up with former manager Jose Mourinho, but the Dutchman has refuted those claims.

“I have a special relationship with Jose Mourinho and enjoyed working with him, but I can't leave Galatasaray in the lurch or the fans that I admire,” Sneijder told Turkish newspaper Milliyet. “I want to play till January at least and help my team. I love Istanbul so much.”

Sneijder cost Galatasaray a fee in the region of 6.3 million pounds, and the former Ajax and Real Madrid star feels he has an obligation to remain with the club.

“I've met a new country and a new culture. It would not be easy to leave and turn my back [on Galatasaray]," he continued.

“My club have expectations of me. The board worked so hard for my transfer. I can't go anywhere because I owe them.”

No comments:

Post a Comment