Chelsea boss Mourinho adamant he would have rejected Manchester United job

The Portuguese boss says that the Blues were the only side he was interested in joining, claiming that he would even have turned down the chance to follow Sir Alex Ferguson

New Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho says that he would have rejected the chance to manage Manchester United.

The 50-year-old was officially unveiled at Stamford Bridge on June 3 after an unspectacular final season with Real Madrid and had previously been muted as a potential successor to the retiring Sir Alex Ferguson.

But the Portuguese is adamant that Chelsea was always his number one choice, categorically denying he would have been interested in replacing the retiring Ferguson at Old Trafford.

"I would have turned down every job in the world - the Manchester United job, every one - for Chelsea," Mourinho told reporters.

The coach also revealed that he was part of the inner circle of trusted confidants who knew about the United legend's impeding retirement and he told the Scot that he had no interest in managing any team other than Chelsea.

"I knew that Ferguson was retiring many months ago," Mourinho continued. "I am so happy with his trust because it was big news for the world - I can imagine that just a very small circle around him knew that and it was a big responsibility for me to know that.

"Why do I know that? Because we are friends, so if I am his friend to know that he is going to retire, he is also my friend to know that the club I want to coach in England is Chelsea.

"Of course I told him I want to come to Chelsea. I would turn down every job in the world for Chelsea."

No comments:

Post a Comment