Ibrahimovic: This has been one of my best seasons ever

With a Ligue 1 title in the bag, the forward has branded Maxwell as the best Parisians player in 2012-13 and praised David Beckham's career
Zlatan Ibrahimovic has labelled his debut season at Paris Saint-Germain as one of the best of his illustrious career.

The Swedish striker has won league and cup titles in Serie A and La Liga, but the 31-year-old has revealed that PSG's Ligue 1-winning year is up there with the very best.

"It is without a doubt one of the best of my career. I'm very happy because I won the title here," he told the club's official website. "If we hadn't won the league I wouldn't be able to say that.

"Last year I finished as top goalscorer in Italy with AC Milan, but I have always said it wasn't a good season for me because I didn't win a trophy with the team. When I win, it's like a reward for all my hard work."

David Beckham announced his retirement this summer, having joined the Parc des Princes side on a five-month contract in January, and the 31-year-old lauded his outgoing teammate.

"[Beckham's retirement] is a huge loss for football," Ibrahimovic continued. "I understand his choice. He is a lovely person. I didn't know him personally before he signed here, but I got to know him. I only have positive things to say about him.

"His influence goes well beyond the playing field. He is an example to follow, a great professional. He came here and he won. Now we all wish him the very best of luck for the future and hope that he stays in football in some form to share that experience."

The Parisians have had plenty of stars in their trophy-winning campaign but Ligue 1's top goalscorer this year has highlighted the performances of defender Maxwell.

"I think Maxwell had a fantastic season," Ibrahimovic said, when asked whom he would say has been the club's best player in 2012-13.

"He managed to maintain such a high standard of performance in every single match and he played in nearly every match, so for me, it has to be Maxwell."

No comments:

Post a Comment