David Luiz: Neymar will learn more in Europe

Speaking before Santos accepted two bids from Barcelona and Real Madrid, the Blues star reveals his advice to the starlet and gave his opinion on Jose Mourinho
Chelsea star David Luiz believes outgoing Santos star Neymar will become a much better player once he chooses to move to Europe.

Speaking before news broke that the Sao Paulo club have accepted bids believed to be from Barcelona and Real Madrid, the defender outlined how a shift from South America will help the 21-year-old blossom.

"Neymar is a great player," Luiz told Goal. "Of course I've talked to him about European football and I said to him: 'You need to do things you have inside your heart.'

"If he is happy to stay in Brazil, stay in Brazil but, if he wants to move, he needs to move because Europe can take a lot of potential, you can learn many different things about tactics and you improve your game."

With Jose Mourinho set to seal a return to the Blues' hotseat following his departure from Real Madrid, Luiz is excited about working with the Portuguese.

"If he comes back for Chelsea, I think he is a great coach," he enthused. "He has a lot of credibility in the world because he always did a great job. So of course everyone wants to have an opportunity to work with him."

Asked if he had spoken to longer-serving teammates about what Mourinho's return would mean, the Brazilian replied, "They don't need to talk to me. I know about football.

"I know about Jose Mourinho and I watch television. I know him from Portugal, I know many things about him, so I know he is a great coach."

Luiz impressed Chelsea supporters in 2012-13 with his increasingly frequent contributions in a midfield role rather than center back and he is enthusiastic about his development, though he has no particular preference over where he plays.

"It was amazing for me because I learned many things, new things, that can help me for the future to improve my game and to be a better player," he remarked of his new position. "That is why I work hard every day, to improve, to help the team. It was a great season for me and for the team.

He added, "I love football. It doesn't matter if I need to play in midfield or center back or striker or whatever; I want to help my team. I'm happy with the ball, I'm happy because I have the best job in the world."

No comments:

Post a Comment